Monday, July 9, 2012

The Newsroom - is anyone watching?

So I am playing catch up these days but I wanted to give a shout out to Aaron Sorkin's newest show, The Newsroom.  I have watched the first two episodes and I am hooked.  No spoilers because I have not watched last night's show yet but this show is phenomenal.  Remember how much we all loved The West Wing the first 2 or 3 seasons?  Well this is how I am feeling about this show.  Plus, the show airs on HBO which I know gives Sorkin a lot more leeway in his writing.  Jeff Daniels is so believable as a newsman only worried about ratings and Emily Mortimer as his former girlfriend and current EP (executive producer) is deliciously zany.  I know that the reviews have been mixed for the show but I must say that thus far, I am impressed.  I get so frustrated when the "smart" people of the world trash a show for following a format and developing stereotypes (apparently this is an Aaron Sorkin thing) when we (as in everyone) must remember that we are watching the show for entertainment purposes.  Yes, I enjoy snappy dialogue and interesting plots but remember this is television.  It is supposed to be an escape from our real lives.  Let me know if anyone else is watching?  I would love to hear your thoughts...




2 comments:

Bob said...

HBO-free zone, so......Not watching.

David Dust said...

I've watched the first 2 episodes and I love it. You're right - very West Wingish (which is a good thing).

XOXOXOXOXOXO