Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Search for Elle Woods - MTV

If anyone actually thought that raspy voiced, chain-smoking, non-dancing (and cussin) Emma would have made a good Elle Woods then please oh please stand up for the girl!



As for me, I just could not get past how "New York" she was. OK, before anyone chastises me for saying that like its a bad thing hold on; Elle Woods is not a New Yorker. Elle Woods is from California; she is young, blond, frivolous, and fun. Emma was none of these things and her acting skills were not enough to even begin to come across as this person.

From the beginning: Monday nights episode of The Search for the Next Elle Woods (or whatever the ridiculously long title of the show is) was all about dancing. The girls finally had to show their dancing chops and in the worst way possible. On the streets of New York (Brooklyn I think) in high heeled, bubble-gum pink boots. Emma could not hack it. I know, I know she was sick but every week there seems to be an excuse. I just quit smoking, I have bronchitis, I have not taken a dance class in five years.... After awhile you have to ask yourself does this girl really have the triple threatedness (not a word I know but sounds good) to actually star in a Broadway musical?


After the debacle on the streets the girls had to learn a dance to perform for the judges. Then they worked all night to prepare the dance. Oh and during the night they had to fill out a questionnaire with a worst list (worst dance, worst singer you get the picture). This just destroyed some of the girls (no really) and then in the "Elle" way they turned it around and made it positive. At this point I gagged and tasted vomit in my mouth (well hello Antonia from Top Chef). You know (and I know) that all of these girls talk shit (all girls do) and each of them has thought about who is the worst at any of the given talents. They just did not want to say it out loud. No one wants to look like a bitch (which I hate). Moving on!

So the girls performed the dance for the judges. Emma could not make it through hers and Autumn had to run off and throw up. Super fun!!!!! Anyway, the judges decided that Autumn (throw up and all) deserved to stay and Emma was sent home.


Now I would have felt bad for Emma (she is more talented than me) had she not talked smack about the younger girls saying that they were just "girls" and could not handle the show. Well Emma these girls could at least get through the auditions. You (woman that you are) could not even finish. Five left..who is going to win? And how long will their stint as Elle really run (1 show, 2 tops). We will see.

No comments: