Monday, June 30, 2008

HGTV's Design Star



"I want my mom right now" was how Michael went out last night. No more rolling his eyes at everyone else's designs, no more talking about how the contest was his for the taking; he left crying and asking for his mom. Sometimes karma is a bitch, isn't it?

Last night the seven remaining contestants received their first individual challenge. Each person picked a country and had to design a room using that country as inspiration. Its funny that Michael was able to pick his country on his own (he picked Spain) and did not have to conform to an idea already picked for him. The designers got $500 and a shopping spree at Michael's Arts and Crafts Store before having 12 hours to complete their designs.

Overall I was not impressed with any of the designs. Jennifer had Italy and I loved her walls inspired by Vietri, Italy (and its china and pottery) but I felt that her furniture was an afterthought. It was nice to see her so excited about not being in the bottom three and her brush work on the walls was really impressive. The other person that the judges liked was Stephanie (aka Boobs) and her Mexican cabana inspired room. To me it just looked as if she had some ladders coming out from the walls and a bunch of cushions in the middle.

Michael, Tracee and Matt were the bottom three for all very different reasons. Matt's room was supposed to be inspired by a Buddhist Temple (he had Thailand) but to me it looked as if he had two tall chairs in the middle of the room that lit up. Tracee decided to go "Beauty and the Beast" with her Italian room and paint a chandelier on the wall and create a fake mirror and a Gondola bed.


It was horrible and very childish looking. In fact my four year old, who was in the room while I watched today, wants to know where she can get one of those boat beds (hmmmm). As for Michael, his room just looked uninspired. I did not think it was bad but as Vern said, "I look more Spanish than that room does" (and he's Asian). The room could have been anywhere and anyone could have designed it. It was just boring.

So after fake complementing Tracee (I hate you because it is so good, he says), rolling his eyes at the other designers rooms, playing up to Lisa and Angelo (HGTV stars) about being the next Design Star and in general being a big, diva, queen; Michael was taken down all of the notches and sent home. And all we will remember is him crying and telling the judges "I am so sorry" and going into the elevator asking for his mom. Oh how the mighty have fallen people. Just remember sometimes when you are mean and overconfident something or someone (Vern Yipp?) comes along and bites you in the ass. So long Michael! May you grow up a little and continue to embrace your feminine side.



Next week maybe, just maybe, someone will impress me (and or the judges)!

1 comment:

David Dust said...

Hello Tivo Mom! -

Michael found out the "karma" lesson the hard way. But I TOTALLY identified with him wanting his Mama - I'm exactly the same way.

CLICK HERE for DavidDust's Design Star recap.

XOXOXO

P.S. - I responded to your earlier comments on my blog. Thanks, as always, for your support.