Wednesday, September 12, 2012

So You Think You Can Dance (?)

I am going to make myself highly unpopular when I go on this little rant.  I love this show.  I love the talent on this show.  I am in awe at what some of these kids can do (Chehon, Eliana).  I find that it lessens the quality of the show when someone like Cyrus makes it to the Top 4.  Please understand, this kid (Cyrus) is amazing.  I think he is great at what he does (remarkable) but he has not been able to translate his dance into other styles of dance and he is lacking in the skills department for other genres.  Now people will say, what about Joshua or Twitch or even Legacy who were hip-hop boys that could hold their own in other styles.  That's just it, they could hold their own (and even amaze) in other styles.  Cyrus can not.  If not for outstanding partnering he would be lost.  The judges will say what about personality and showmanship and Cyrus has that, in spades, but this is still a dance show.  I hope to see 2 of the other 3 win this season (did not even mention Tiffany and she is a wonderful dancer as well), I just think that to maintain the integrity of the show, Cyrus does not need to take the title.  If he wins America's favorite dancer, it seems unfair to the those that have trained so hard and for so long to make it to this point.  Shouldn't the favorite be a true dancer in every sense of the word? 

Stepping down off my soapbox now....


4 comments:

Bob said...

I gave up watching after cutie-patootie Matthew got the boot, but I agree about Cyrus.
I love watching him do his style, but it seemed as though the choreographers, rather than make him stretch to their styles, used his style in their dances.

www.DiatribesAndOvations.com said...

I couldn't agree with you more. But, like they've said all along, they're not choosing America's BEST dancer, they're choosing America's FAVORITE dancer. He's a nice enough guy and keeps up for the most part but pales in comparison to Chehon and shouldn't win.

While I agree with their decision to cut back to one show per week, what I don't agree with is having two winners. I think that is a bad idea.

I'll keep watching! And I hope Kat Deeley finally wins her well-deserved Emmy later this month.

Unknown said...

Although Cyrus isn’t as equally paired with even the top 7, he has worked hard and has improved far more than most other people without any formal dance training could. The judges spotted personality and determination, and the audience carried him along. This is America’s show, so I blame Nigel for setting it up that way, though I agree. One of my Dish coworkers is a big fan and she’s going to come over and watch the results with me and my wife. We’re ALL hoping Chehon and Eliana win, but it could be Cyrus and either of the other two women. We always watch commercial free with Auto Hop on my PrimeTime Anytime recordings because it saves us enough time to watch another show too. I like that I enjoy more TV now and get more for my money.

Unknown said...

Even although I was glad that Eliana and Chehon won (well deserved) I did think that Cyrus deserved to be in the finale. It is, after all, America's favorite dancer, and Cyrus certainly won folks over. Either way, I do think that the top 10 dancers this year were amazing, and I love that 2 ballet dancers won the titles in the end.