Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Search For Elle Woods - MTV


Is anyone else watching this show? Legally Blond the Musical: The Search for Elle Woods is a new show on MTV that started last week. Last week the contestants were narrowed down to the final ten and this week was the first real audition to whittle the girls down even more. The prize (now this is impressive); the winner gets to be the next Elle Woods on Broadway.

OK, OK I know what you are thinking. The movie was cute but how in the world did this little piece of fluff become a Broadway musical. I actually have no idea but people really love this musical (seems a bit much for me) and the girls auditioning know the songs by heart (like the rest of us know Wicked or Rent). The show is hosted by Haylie Duff (Hilary's sister) who was apparently in Hairspray on Broadway (for about 3 or 4 months). I think that her long stint on Broadway has allowed Haylie to be a real mentor to the girls (that was totally sarcastic by the way).



Now I embrace real talent (probably because I have none) and I enjoy watching talented people perform. Most of these girls are triple threats (sing, dance and act) and it is actually fun to watch the process of finding the exact girl to take over the role of Elle.

The episode from Monday night (which I watched last night) was an acting challenge. The girls had to act out a scene from the show with the girl who plays Brooke Wyndham for the judges. The kicker was that Brooke (played by Nikki Snelson) accidentally (on purpose) drops a line. The judges want to see how the girls react. None do great but a few are really awful. Anyway after deliberating the judges decide to drop Cassie O. (beautiful voice) and the group is down to nine.

Love, love, love Bailey (I am a southern girl) who is from Anderson, SC (where my grandmother is from). She has a lot of personality and seems to have the talent to back it up. Also love Rhiannon who has a goofy, fun personality that seems to draw people in. Cannot stand the other Cassie who seems pretentious and condescending and I am on the fence about Emma. I am not sure if Emma is just nervous or if she really thinks she deserves it more than anyone else.

I will watch next week and the show has been added to my recording list. My goodness summer television is show, isn't it?

No comments: