Tuesday, January 26, 2010

No Politics With My Football Please...

On the radio this morning the hosts were discussing a Super Bowl ad that Florida quarterback Tim Tebow was involved in. I paid very little attention to the discussion because I live in Florida and all the morning shows ever talk about is how great Tim Tebow is (was now that he has graduated). After perusing People.com (article here) this afternoon I now understand what all of the hoopla is about. It seems as if Mr. Tebow has participated in an ad that is decidedly pro-life (or pro-family as they like to call it). Now I am of the mindset that everyone is entitled to an opinion. I may even agree (or disagree) with said opinion. But (and this is a large but) I do not want it to air during the biggest football game of the year. Football (or any sport) should not be political and advertising for an opinion is not how I gear down and watch a game. I am an extremely conservative person. Two issues make me less conservative than my family thinks I should be. These two issues are gay rights and being pro-choice. However, neither of these opinions should be touted during a football game.

4 comments:

David Dust said...

I agree. Superbowl Sunday should be a day of Budweiser and Fritos ads.

However, to add insult to injury regarding this story, CBS rejected a pro-gay-inclusiveness ad in 2004 that it deemed "too controversial" (it was from the United Church of Christ - so it couldn't have been THAT out there).

Although I would bet this situation has more to do with economics - in 2004, things were good. In 2010, if you have $2.5 million to spend on an anti-abortion ad, they're probably going to take it.

Tivo Mom said...

I agree about beer and fritos. If they need the money and this ad is going to run then something from the other side would seem fair.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. There's something about political ads that doesn't go with sports.

MAX said...

I agree too! That's kind of low of them to do that!