Wednesday, September 3, 2008

90210 Again

I wanted to like it; I really did. I watched the original religiously and still watch the re-runs on SoapNet so last night I really, really wanted to think it was the most fabulous show ever. It was not. I had set my expectations low (hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised) and all I can say about the show is that it met my expectations.

The basic premise was the same: two kids from the Midwest get thrown into West Beverly High School and try to find their way. At this point the similarities end. In the first scene (almost) the main character Annie witnesses her old friend Ethan getting a blow job from a random girl. Not only are we not in Kansas anymore; we are not in the 90210 that I remember anymore either. I understand that times have changed and everything in the world is a lot racier than it was 15 years ago but for those of us who paint ourselves nostalgic whenever we think of Brandon and Brenda Walsh this was not the way to hook us into watching the show.

As for the rest of the show; the first hour was a little better than the second but it still seemed to drag as if waiting for someone we knew (Steve Sanders anyone?) to arrive. The whole Brenda/Kelly reunion was a letdown and I loved (hated) that they "wanted to put the past behind them".

I am afraid that this show will not make the cut on my long (long) list of shows to watch and review. I might still tune in because Tuesday is a slow night (and I would like to know who fathered Kelly's child) but the effort it takes to actually discuss the show is not warranted in this situation.

In my head (with my Pollyanna voice) I tell myself; maybe it was just the pilot, maybe it is going to get better, maybe Brandon will make an appearance, or maybe I am really to old to go back. Only time will tell but here's hoping that its the top three and not the last one because otherwise I have become old without knowing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so dissapointed that you didn't like the show! I was looking forward to reading future blogs about it. I thought it was enjoyable and I thought they set it up well for some of the old cast to come back. I think Brandon is the baby's daddy.

Kim

Anonymous said...

The show was painful. Good call on the babys diddy...