Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Firm - The Book, The Movie, The Television Show?

I finally sat down and watched the 2 hour season premiere of the new show, The Firm.  Wait, back up for a minute. 

I read the book, The Firm, on a train in Europe when I went backpacking after my junior year of college.  This was my first Grisham book (and I would later declare another my favorite) and I loved it.  The intensity, the twists, the turns, it was enough to keep me up at night trying to finish the book and figure out what happened.  It was on this trip that we all discovered that Tom Cruise had been cast as the lead in the subsequent movie.  Wait, huh?  Tom Cruise.

I went to see the movie, The Firm, around the opening weekend.  I was, as most were, disappointed.  Gone was the excitement of the ending.  Gone was the never knowing what could happen and living on a boat.  And Tom Cruise as the lead was never who I pictured as the Mitch McDeere in my mind. 

Fast forward 14 years, and the age of remaking everything, NBC has decided to create a television show based on this same book and this same movie.  I was skeptical but I decided, because of my love for the book (and lets face it Josh Lucas) that I would check it out.  And I liked it.  Now its not without some problems and I assume that these problems can be ironed out but I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  Although, I think that the basis of the show is the movie and not the book because Mitch and Abby McDeere have just gotten out of Witness Protection (never happened in the book).  I think I will continue to watch and see where the story goes.

Did anyone else watch?  What did you think?  Did anyone else actually picture someone like Josh Lucas back in the day when you read the book for the first time.  He seems to fit, in my opinion, and I have loved him since Sweet Home Alabama. 

No comments: