Monday, January 16, 2012

The Golden Globes - In Brief...

I watched all 3 hours of the Golden Globes last night (plus the arrival special and beyond) and I must say; I was a little underwhelmed.  Ricky Gervais was funny but a little safe.  I do not watch a bunch of shows on HBO, Showtime etc so when those shows win the awards, I don't know who they are or anything about the show.  Anyway, here are a few things I loved (and hated) about the show....
  • I loved seeing Christopher Plummer win (all hail to Captain Von Trapp).  His speech was heartfelt and sincere and he seemed genuinely happy to be at the Globes.
  • NBC had a little trouble with the sound and the monitors (as shown in the arrival special and on stage with Rob Lowe and Julianne Moore).  No wonder they are in 4th place in the network race (according to Gervais)
  • Someone wrote that when Kelsey Grammer won, they wondered if Camille was throwing things at the television.  No matter his personal life, he is an amazing actor and has had so much longevity.  He actually looked so very happy.
  • Does Adam Levine have absolutely no sense of humor?  How does one not laugh when Jimmy Fallon begins to dance?  He (Levine) just seems like such a jerk to me, you know that "too cool for school" attitude that means he is above it all.  
  • Seth Rogan had one of the funniest lines of the night.  
  •  I did appreciate the fact that Clooney and Pitt introduced each others movies.  Yes we all know that they are friends but this was a nice way for them to support each other this year since they are both up for so many awards.  
  • Channing Tatum is hot!!!!
  • Matt LeBlanc has gotten better with age.  He looks so much better with the gray hair.
  •  Octavia Spencer played my favorite character in the Help.  I have yet to see the movie but after hearing her speech, she embodies all that I loved about the character and I will see it.  
  • I really wish that Angelina Jolie would loosen up just a little bit.  She always looks above it all and one must wonder if she ever actually laughs.  
  • Loved Modern Family acceptance speech!
These were the small things that stood out to me.  Did I miss anything?  There were other funny bits I know (the Colin Firth is a racist thing was cute) but I did not want to list them all.  Thoughts, comments...etc.  I will post my favorite and least favorite dresses later today.  

1 comment:

www.DiatribesAndOvations.com said...

I sat through the whole thing, too. I'm not a fan of the Golden Globes any more. In our "global ecomony" the Hollywood Foreign Press is all but extinct. That being said, it's a fun party to watch and a dress rehearsal for the Oscars.

(I thought Jane Fonda looked absolutely beautiful until they showed her from the back!)