Friday, February 20, 2009

Found This Interesting....

I just finished reading Emily Giffin's newest book Love The One You're With and it brought up some interesting questions. In the book, the main character, Ellen, has the perfect life. Wealthy husband who loves her (and who she loves), great career, good friends and so on. She starts to question it all when she runs into her ex. Did she marry the wrong man? What would her life have been like if she had stayed with her ex? (and so on) This does not affect me only because my husband was my one and only love. OK, that sounds cheesy (without meaning to) but we met when we were 19; so save for my college hook-ups and little three month relationships here and there, he is my only basis for comparison. I never had "the one that got away". I do have friends that play the "what if" game and it always makes me uncomfortable. How does anyone know what would have been unless you chose a different path at the time? Of course this is the "grass is always greener" philosophy but does anyone ever actually think that going the other way would have been better. Anyway read the book if you get a chance.

3 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Never. Besides the children are only the children they are because of the two people who made them. And that is debatable?

Tivo Mom said...

Just interesting the amount of people that play the "what if" game.

Joy said...

I'm one of them. I didn't marry the right one but have the right son. I wish I'd had more sense back when and then later on after my divorce. I admire and am happy for those of you who got it right and are still together and wish I'd been one of you (or a couple of you). You're fortunate, but I'm sure it's not all luck. :-)