Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Biggest Loser- Couples But Not Really?

I don't know if I have ever felt so badly for a group of reality contestants as I did last night. Eleven couples (broad term used for friends, families and romantic relationships) large and ready to make a change showed up and only 9 individuals and two of the couples remained. I have to ask NBC; why even call the show "Biggest Loser Couples"? How about "Biggest Loser Singles" or "Biggest Loser People who are upset because they had to say goodbye too soon"? As you may have guessed a "twist" was added to the show last night and it pissed me off. Not enough to not watch but enough to bitch about it.

The eleven couples arrived at the ranch and each couple had some sort of relationship with their partner. Some were friends, some child/parent, sister/sister, cousin/cousin, and others were either married or engaged. All were set and ready to begin their own "transformation" (don't you just love how they throw that word around constantly?). One of the funniest moments on the show was when Alison told the contestants that they had to do their first workout on their own. Bob and Jillian watched from another room and it was obvious that most of these people had never set foot in a gym (that and the huge weight that they were carrying around).

The teams then picked their trainers and everyone moved on to the challenge. This weeks challenge was to run over a bridge (I am sure that there is some symbolism there but my brain is fried) and the team who finished first in the final round won immunity. The Black Team (Blaine and Dan cousins; I know I can't make this stuff up) won and they were granted immunity. The teams then had their last chance workout where some threw up and others just cried (all par for the course).

The weigh in began with Alison announcing that their would be no elimination...and then told everyone that the nine teams below the yellow line had to pick one team member to go home. Seriously, these people were psyched to be here and you are sending nine of them home? After the weigh in the Black Team (immunity) and the Brown Team (father/son combo Mike and Ron) were safe and everyone else had to send someone home. I felt bad for all of the teams but the Red team (what is it with me and red?) who are engaged really pulled at my heartstrings.

So that is the set up...9 individuals and 2 teams remain. What twist can they bring us next week?

2 comments:

David Dust said...

I don't normally watch The Biggest Loser (it hits a little too close to home), but I did see some of last night's episode. It IS pretty shady to do a "Couples" edition, and then only keep 2 couples intact.

I'll continue to rely on you for updates. Now if I could just get you to go to the gym for me...

XOXOXOXOXO

Tivo Mom said...

I can't even go to the gym for myself much less for someone else. Thanks for keeping up!!