Monday, February 25, 2008

The Academy Awards

I did actually watch the awards show last night. I have not seen any of the movies nominated but I thought it prudent to watch the show. Just a few minor observations.

Why do all of the movies that are up for Best Picture have to be so damn depressing? With the exception of Juno, the rest of the movies just did not make me want to run right out and see them. Remember the days of Shakespeare in Love and Titanic? I miss those days. As Jon Stewart said, "does Hollywood need a hug?"

I hate when the more famous people get to speak longer than the lesser ones. I may not care what they have to say but someone out there does (mother, lover, husband, child etc...) Like the poor girl from best song, she had to come back out and make her speech. Bless her heart, she may have looked frumpy but she had something to say.

Why in the death montage was Brad Renfro excluded? I know that he died of a supposed drug overdose but he was a good little actor before the drugs got him. He had the bad timing to die right before Heath Ledger so I think everyone simply forgot about him. Here is to Brad Renfro, I loved him in The Client and Sleepers.

Most stars looked great on the red carpet. I loved Jennifer Garner, Heidi Klum, Katherine Heigl and Jessica Alba. I was not crazy about Cate Blanchett (usually I love her), Tilda Swinton, and Daniel Day- Lewis's wife (now that was a crazy ensemble). Johnny Depp looked really put together for him and as always George Clooney looked superb.

I adore Jon Stewart. I may not always agree with his politics but he is one funny man. I thought he kept the show going and most of the audience looked like they were having a good time. However, one of my favorite moments of the night was with Seth Rogan and what's his name fighting over who got to be Halle Berry. Very cute!!!

All in all a good show. It does not make me want to go out and watch all of those depressing movies but it is always fun to see all of the stars together. Here's to next year and some happier movies. Does anyone remember that Mary Poppins actually won an Oscar. Movie scribes, please do!

No comments: