Thursday, February 28, 2008

Project Runway

Deep down I knew! After the spread in Entertainment Weekly where they panned Chris's collection for the use of human hair (I know right?) I knew that Rami (by the way I am from Jerusalem) would be the one going to Bryant Park. I still tried to hold on to my small morsel of hope but alas it was not to be and Rami rounds out the final three going to the finals.

The first of the final two episodes felt so similar to all of the rest of the finales with Tim visiting each of the contestants in their own environment. I swear, though, if I heard Tim Gunn say, what a great space or what a tiny space, one more time I was going to turn the television off.

Anyway, Tim went to Christian first and you could totally see his age in the amount of space (god isn't there another word) he had to work. It looked like he was creating his collection in a broom closet. For Christian the collection looked standard with yards and yards of fabric and big poofy sleeves but Tim seemed responsive. Of course Tim could not leave without giving Christian a little advice but Christian being Christian (and therefore above any kind of criticism) was probably not going to listen.

Next to Jillian who had decided not to return to her job and was using this time to reflect and really get inspiration. Jillian's clothes are always beautiful and there seemed to be no exception here. Tim seemed extremely excited about her work and his only major critique was about the color. Then we got to visit Jillian's home in long Island. Nice family but boring. I don't really remember any of the conversations except when Jillian came back and said that her parents pushed her to be the best (whose didn't).

On to LA where Rami was working on his collection. Now did Tim drive cross country or did he just have the same car in two places? Anyway, Rami already has a business in LA so his "space" was terrific. His collection looked a little over the top but still beautifully constructed and I did not view a lot of draping (because Rami likes to drape did you know that?). Rami did discuss his upbringing (again!) and made everyone in America aware that he was born in Jerusalem (really?). It was touching when he spoke of his mother and his step-mother but I have to ask if he was scared to tell his parents that he wanted to be a fashion designer or was he scared that they would just assume that he was gay (good assumption, right?).

Tim then headed back to New York to visit Chris(why did he not go there before he went to LA we'll never know) and have a look at his collection. The minute Tim mentioned his gag reflex in response to the human hair I knew that Chris was in trouble. His work looked beautifully done (if you could get past the hair which I could not) but so over the top that you knew Michael and Nina were going to rail him. When Chris spoke of his family I was a little taken aback. Does he have the support of his brothers or do they just laugh and pick on him?

So the designers returned to New York with their collections. Everyone got together and caught up and then Rami and Chris had to report to Heidi for their walk-off (Chris's words not mine I still like design-off). Both of them showed their three pieces and all of the judges were surprisingly nice to Rami and Chris. I think that the judges knew that whoever they sent home had just done a shitload of work to not make it to Bryant Park (sorry for cussing but seriously, so close yet so far). As expected Chris went home and I actually got a little teary (I know, I know I am too involved with my television). Rami was ecstatic and Chris was a gracious loser and very well-spoken at the end (until the laugh).

On to Bryant Park next week and I am now placing bets on Jillian, or Christian or even Rami. I don't know who it is going to be but I can't wait to find out. By the way, did Christian shave the sides of his hair (not fierce if he did)?

1 comment:

David Dust said...

Hello Dear -

I prefer the term "Showcase Showdown" over walk-off, or design-off. But I'm still freaked out by Jillian's headgear...

Click here for DavidDust’s Project Runway recap.

Bye…love you…love your hair!