Thursday, November 6, 2008

How do I prevent it?

I have this huge fear. No not that I am going to die (Ok that is a fear but not that one) that my children are going to be dorks. I know this is stupid and superficial but I think about these things. At no point in their lives do I want my kids picked on by a mean child or not invited to a party. But how do you prevent it? How do you push your children to be smart, friendly, well rounded, and popular without sending the wrong message? Can a cool kid become a doctor and discover a cure for cancer while still being popular and well liked? Can a math genius still drink beer with his friends and become a member of a fraternity (social not academic) in college? I want my children to read books and do their homework and be good citizens but I also want them to be cool. Maybe I need a new definition of cool. All I know is that just because my child is not the best on the soccer field, or in the dance class, I don't want other children putting them down or being mean about it. I know I am living in a dream world but wouldn't that bubble be nice. You can join me if you want to.

No comments: