Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Faking it? I don't know.


My child did not want to go to school today. She had a tummy ache, a head ache, a cough (due to cold), a sore throat and the list goes on. She literally found every ailment imaginable to avoid going to school. Now she is 4, she should still want to go to school daily. Nothing is going on in the classroom, all of her friends are still her friends; she just did not want to go. I checked for fever and looked at her throat and patted her on the bottom on her way to school. My question is, at this age, how do you know if they are faking it? In this situation it seemed as if she just wanted to stay home but I have had days where they have complained of something and I (like my mother) do not believe in staying home unless there is vomit or a fever. My child is already a drama queen; how much more of this do I have to look forward to and how do I know what is real and what is not?

3 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Stress is what I always think because of our experience.
Tummies are our stress barometer around here. We learned it the hard way. Gorilla Boy is dyslexic and high stakes testing is really hard on him. He started with a constant stomache ache but never complained until a week later. The day after the test he was in the emergency room. Once he realized what his body was doing to him we found ways to mitigate the symptoms - antacids mainly, but also self talk, relaxation, visualization, knowing this too shall pass. Still gives him trouble from time to time including kicking in his asthma (acid splashes into the esophagus and into the lungs).

Tivo Mom said...

How stressful can being 4 be?

Anonymous said...

Knowing Miss P, she probably just didn't want to go to school and wanted to play. Did she come home sick or is she fine?