Monday, March 2, 2009

One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell

My husband is out of town until tomorrow and I have trouble sleeping when he is not home (cheesy yes I know). Look I am from a big family and never had my own room let alone my own house. I don't know what to do with myself. Anyway, this extends my reading time at night and I was able to finally finish Candace Bushnell's (of Sex and the City fame) most recent book One Fifth Avenue.

OK, here's the thing; I want to love her books. I want to be sophisticated and love the New York lingo and her choppy writing style but I don't. I have read all of her books and while they were mildly entertaining I just could not walk away and recommend it to someone else. I like the idea of her books. You know life in New York, people with important jobs, living on cool streets like Fifth Avenue, going to benefit dinners; all the things that are so not me. I want to lose myself in this world and I cannot. Her sex is too graphic (and I am not as prudish as you might think), the twists seem a little far fetched and the stereotypes of people are too elementary. I don't want to say "don't read it" but read it when you have nothing else available. The only thing that I was able to really glean from the book is that people in New York will do just about anything for the right address? Is this true?

No comments: