Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Roller Coaster

I have this idea that marriage is like a roller coaster. Sometimes you are up and sometimes you are down but it always comes back around.

Lately my husband and I have been in that downward motion. Every little thing that comes out of his mouth just grates on my nerves. We are fighting constantly and both of us are so tired and stressed that we cannot allow ourselves to have a good time. Last night we took a step back in the right direction (upward swing) and talked, laughed, and relaxed with our friends. After 12 years of marriage (and 16 years together) I never doubt that we will get back to the top it just sometimes takes longer than others.

I spoke with a girlfriend recently who asked how I knew that the upward swing was always going to happen? How did I know that we would not continue on the downward motion and never come back up? Honestly I don't know how I know this. I just do! It's kind of like knowing that your husband is the exact person for you. I just know. I always know (and have complete faith) that eventually we will come back around. During our down moments I may not always know when the up times are coming back but I have faith that they will.

It's Sunday and I am being a little introspective today. Weird I know but no football and it is yucky outside.

No comments: