Monday, May 25, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance - Apology

After watching the auditions Thursday night and remarking about how Nigel handled a same sex ballroom dance couple (he could not form words) I thought nothing more about it. Apparently the gay community took offense to his comments and Nigel has issued an apology. I do understand why offense was taken, Nigel's comments were rude but I don't think that this man was in any way trying to be mean or disrespectful; I think that he just did not know what to say having never been presented with this combination of partners before. Don't stop watching the show. Gay, straight, red, blue, man or woman...I don't care as long as you can dance. Read his apology below from EW.com. Am I being naive to think that he is not homophobic or is he really that much of an asshole?

So You Think You Can Dance' judge Nigel Lythgoe apologizes for homophobic remarks

May 24, 2009, 12:17 PM | by Jennifer Armstrong

Categories: Television

So You Think You Can Dance judge Nigel Lythgoe has issued an apology for remarking during this week's season premiere that same-sex ballroom couple Misha Belfer and Mitch Kiber "probably alienate a lot of our audience." During his critique, he'd also told them, ''I'd like to see you both dancing with a girl... You never know, you might enjoy it, too.'' After GLAAD took notice, Lythgoe said he regrets the "poor word choices," adding, "I am not homophobic and it was extremely upsetting for me to be classed as such." His statement goes on to say:

"I have been forthright and consistent with my opinion, as a judge, that professional male dancers should move with strength and agility -- like Gene Kelly and Rudolph Nureyev. I now realize how this could be misconstrued.

"I have been a dancer, and involved in the dance world, for nearly 50 years. Professionally and personally, I believe the sexual orientation of an auditioner or contestant is irrelevant. All that said, the fact that I have unintentionally upset people is distressing to me and it is obvious I have made mistakes that I must learn from. I trust that my humor will be more sensitive and mindful moving forward."

No comments: