Monday, April 7, 2008

Top Chef

I know that it takes me a few days to watch this show and discuss but I am starting to really enjoy it. OK, it would be better if I could eat the food (I am going to continue to say this over and over) but the drama is starting to heat up (get it heat up like a stove hee hee). Last week Erik (scary bald man) was eliminated so now on to the next challenge.

This week started with a guest judge (another very famous chef that I did not know) and a Quick Fire challenge. The Quick Fire was to create a "beautiful vegetable plate" using three or more techniques to make the plate stand out. As a non-chef I was unaware of what they were talking about when using the word technique but I took it to mean special ways to cut, arrange and prepare the food to make the plate more pleasing to the eye (my God that sounds like I know what I am talking about). Anyway, Dale won the challenge (fancy cutting techniques) and immunity for the Elimination Challenge.

The cheftestants (still love the word) were then split into groups of two (except the team that Dale chose to join) and had to create an entree inspired by a movie. Richard, Andrew and Dale seemed to be the dream team. This trio chose Willie Wonka (one move I hate with a passion, scared me as a child) and created a dish using faux caviar and white chocolate sauce. I was actually impressed with Mark and Ryan. The two seemed an unlikely duo, especially when Ryan started throwing out movies like Dumb and Dumber, but when they settled on A Christmas Story and came up with their Asian inspired duck dish; the idea really seemed inspired by their movie and they worked very well together. Once again Spike was an egomaniac and decided he wanted to do Vietnamese food before he decided on the movie (Good Morning Vietnam). Manuel just seemed to blindly follow Spike's lead which eventually led to Manuel's downfall.

In the end Richard, Dale, and Andrew won the challenge (Richard won overall) and Manuel was sent home. So on to next week to see who goes home next and who the next guest Chef may be that I do not know. I am waiting to see what will happen when one half of the lesbian couple is sent home. Also, I need for Spike to be taken down a few notches. It was his vision on the last challenge yet Manuel went home. It does not seem fair.

No comments: