Monday, March 24, 2008

Competition

Why do all moms feel the need to be in constant competition? I was talking to a friend today and she is having a hard time picking a school for her child. While trying to pick a school she has run into the secretive moms that are also trying to pick schools but don't want to mention where they are looking in case her child will look there as well. Its the struggle to see who can be the best mom and who can make their child's life the best. How did we get here?

I think as a stay-at-home mom when we make the decision to stay home we feel a little lost. We are all so used to the cutthroat corporate world that staying home does not give us the competition and fulfillment that some of us need. Therefore we decide to transfer this need for competition and fulfillment onto our children. So we try to compete with other moms to see who has the best snacks or whose child is dressed better or which child goes to the best school. For some reason some moms need this to justify staying home all day.

In all honesty I was not like this in the career world (which is probably why I was never truly successful as a corporate girl). I could not understand why we had to compete when we worked for the same company. I guess that is how I feel today. We all work for the same company right? We all want what is best for our children. Should we not try to help each other out. Stepping down from my soap box now!

No comments: