Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Oprah's Big Give

Another episode, another night of tears. This week the remaining contestants had $4500 to help someone that they found in need. I know I can be a skeptic but how do we know these people are not lying? I mean the minute you hear Oprah do you automatically want to have a story so that someone will help you. Don't get me wrong, some of the contestants did a wonderful job.

The three guys who worked on the Denver Children's Home should be commended for what they were able to do in a 48 hour period. Just the furniture donation alone was enough to bring on the tears and then to have new plumbing and a big check. They really worked the phones.

The girl that helped the women with Aids was also inspired. She took her money and gave these women a spa day and dinner. When one of the women with Aids said she felt like a person and not a person with Aids, I (of course) dissolved in tears.

Some of the rest of the group just did not seem as inspired. The beauty queen could not get it together. Most colleges are not going to give out free tuition so that was a lost cause. Also, the military guy that tried to help the Iraq War veteran. Nice thought but not enough was done. Also when he gave the car to the restaurant guy you knew he was going home.

As you can tell I have not learned any of these people's names. Not because they are not important but because I don't pay attention to the contestants, I pay attention to the stories and the money raised. Very little of Oprah seen in this show but maybe as it gets tighter she will show up more. Still makes me want to do something good. Does anyone have an extra $4500 to just give out to people. It might be fun. By the way I don't but I can dream.

No comments: